genARate offers a basic pipeline for the integration and use of 3D models and animations
This content type is probably the most appealing one for augmented reality experiences
Please note that the current pipeline is still in BETA which means it is basically functioning, but not fully set up in all details – so you have to expect some restrictions and limitations especially around the UI as well as the 3D creation pipeline.
In terms of size / complexity of 3D models the technical limit of possible polygons is 500.000. Recomendation is to not go over 50.000 polygons in order to guarantee a smooth experience on most smart phones. In practical you can find many good 3D models offering an appealing mobile experience with around 10.000 polygons already.
The “how to” section only covers the steps within the genARate Studio / genARate platform. For further information on how to create, export and convert 3D contents please have a look in section Creation Pipeline (further below)
A collection of 3D Models was specifically created for you in genARate Studio. Now you can easily choose a licensed free 3D model and use it for your project.
- Click on the 3D icon inside the toolbar to start the upload dialogue
- Choose between Drop your own Audio or Insert from Library types.
1. Drop/Browse the desired 3D file from your local drive
2. Insert from the Library
- To use 3D models from the library click insert button on the right
- A new window will open with available 3D assets
- Green section shows the type of 3D model (animated/static)
- Click on the 3D model to insert it into your target image
- After the upload has completed the 3D model will appear in the scenario editor
- Click on the 3D model inside the scenario editor to move/position the element via drag & drop and to access the settings
Name: Select a unique name for your 3D element
Source: Name of uploaded source file and button to replace uploaded 3D model “on the fly”
Size: Set individual size of 3D model (by width and height of ground plane – aspect ratio is fixed)
Position: Set individual position of model (by x and y – z not available, yet)
Rotation: Set rotation of model (by ° for 3 axis x,y,z)
Hidden: Makes model invisible at start of AR experience (to e.g. let it appear by a Button interaction at a later time)
Unique ID: Internal ID of content element, mostly used for referencing inside HTML fragments
Access 3D model from HTML Fragment: Unique link to 3D model, mostly used for referencing inside HTML fragments
Auto play: The animation of the 3D model (has to be provided inside the model) starts playing automatically when it appears in AR (if not, user needs to click 3D Model to start, etc.)
Continue playing: 3D Model stays visible, also when image tracking is lost (trigger image is not visible in camera view anymore), the 3D model will be displayed centered to the screen and user can rotate / scale it by touch interaction
Formats & Restrictions:
GenARate currently supports the following formats: GLTF (GLB), Subset of FBX (FBX Binary 2012). The genARate 3D engine is compatible with Three.js.
|Blend Shapes||Limited – Good||No|
- Import of complete scenes
- Import of lighting
- Custom Shaders
- File size restriction: max 20 MB
- Link Doc IR
- Link Description Zan
- Use of 3D Paint for conversion